Friday, June 22, 2012

My Design Bio

           For as long as I can remember, I have been artistic. It started with your basic rainbow and flower drawings in crayon. Around age 8 I transitioned to fashion design. Did hundreds of those... beautiful wedding and formal gowns. I can't tell you how many of Vera Wang's gowns I designed when I was no older than 13. Around age14, I started to do drawings of interiors/houses, expressing visions of my perfect room and house. High school I focused mostly on my oil and acrylic paintings. I also learned to use Adobe Photoshop. Portraits were my biggest pursuits. By the time I was out of high school, I had a huge passion for interior design. The combination of beauty and livable function in a space is what made it so enjoyable. I remember helping my parents stage the house they were selling before open houses. Adjusting the lighting, configuring decor, even adding subtle soft background music to add to the ambiance of the house.

           My major passion since then has been interior design. I enrolled in the program at Las Positas College, which is where I met my husband.  My major was residential interior design. The program covered space planning, color theory, lighting design, textiles, art & interior design history, ADA compliance/universal design, and business practices. I gained a lot from my 2 years at Las Positas.

            Even with all the hard work, I was still very excited and passionate about interior design. I decided to apply to one of the top design schools in the country: The Design Institute of San Diego. The program was created to train students on Interior Design--- not a combination of design types like so many art schools where you learn a little about many things instead of refining your knowledge on your specific major. DISD focused primarily on commercial design, which was sort of a drag for me, but I appreciate the fact that this has prepared me for almost anything. Residential design is cake compared to commercial design. With commercial, there are so many rules-- so many laws and standards to memorize. I was trained on how to create actual construction documents that I can submit to architects, and the city building department for permits. I have ADA code compliance now built into my brain which is fabulous for creating a comfortable environment for well, anyone. From the door swing/clearance, to the lever handle, to the countertop height, and more.

            The program at DISD was formatted to give me thorough knowledge about details that would not typically be considered by your average citizen: green design, lighting design, universal design, environmental psychology, ergonomics, and beyond.  Even during my education I worked a number of different jobs in the interior design field, learning about window coverings, custom furniture, custom cabinets, as well as general home decor.

            When I graduated, I moved back to the bay area to be with my family and friends, which was a relief.  I had lived in San Diego, one of the biggest attractions in the country, for four years, but I do not remember enjoying it that much.  I was basically alone, constantly missing my husband (then my fiance') and my family.  Outside my time in class and at work, I was depressed.  However, I feel that the experience has helped me grow and strengthen as a person, and as an entrepreneur.  I learned patience, independence, and ultimately how to survive.  That you cannot put a price on.

            Unfortunately, I had returned to San Ramon in the thick of the unemployment crash.  No design firms were hiring.  If anything, they were letting employees go.  Any firm that DID have an available position was requiring 20 years+ experience for an intern's salary.  Like so many people I was thrown into a depressed funk (again).  I had originally pictured myself working for a small firm and eventually 10-15 years down the line becoming independent.  After nearly 6 months of unemployment, I decided it was time to take action and I started my own firm, Judy Olson Interiors.  I threw myself into marketing and networking to build my business, connecting with contractors and vendors all over the bay area.  Eventually I developed an archive of satisfied and loyal customers.  Having my own company, I enjoy making my own rules and taking jobs at my own pace.  I love working with customers and taking them from depressed and frustrated, to excited and relieved.  It has, and continues to be, immensely rewarding.

              In my life, I feel like I have been engulfed in design and yet it is something I continue to be passionate about every day. Every new project is a challenge to overcome and a dream to achieve, and I love every moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment